Thursday, December 30, 2010

Handmade Christmas Gift Wrap-up

My attempt at a handmade Christmas was exhausting. But fun. Kind of like that rush before opening night combined with an internship at a sweat shop.

Most of these have tutorials, but the few that don't will be getting their very own posts some time in January.

See how I hook you so now you'll follow with bated breath, waiting in anticipation for the next tutorial? I'm smart like that.

So...the round up...in no particular order of difficulty or popularity...

Felt Flower Wreath
This was for my mother-in-law. She loved it and it looks adorable on her wall. I'm so excited about this little project that I'm thinking heart shaped for Valentine's Day, Bright colors for Cinco de Mayo, sweet pastels for Easter. It could - and probably will - get out of control.


Not only did those who received these little slices of sunshine seem intrigued and delighted, I saved a jar for myself. (Bwahahahah!) I added it, chopped up, to John's scone recipe with amazing results. Can we say addicting?

I was a little apprehensive when I transferred this vodka-scented liquid to small brown bottles. And then, two days later, I opened one up and started drooling. Visions of cookies and pie danced in my mind. I inhaled it like a scent junkie. And then I used it.


For those of you who are new, you have yet to discover my obsession with my knitting looms. For those who have been here for a while, you're probably sporting one of my hats. Yes. I'm a knitting fool in the winter and pass them out like candy. What? You don't have one yet?  Patience, my friend. Patience.


After the initial, "What's this?" Rave reviews. (And one sibling who expressed skepticism that they'll grow.)


So delicious, so yummy, so good we only gave out a few jars. If you received one, feel very, very fortunate. If you received both, you are a friend indeed.

Superhero Capes
What's better than superhero capes flapping behind sprinting little boys? Nothing. Unless it's flapping behind a 37-year-old man. This is one tutorial that you won't want to miss.


I posted this little project on Lindsay Blogs and was overwhelmed by the number of people who actually did it. It almost felt like I started a trend. Kind of.


Felt Flower Pins
After doing the wreath, I couldn't stop. Adorned with beads, I handed these out to the ladies at work. And discovered, to my dismay, that I need a stronger bonding agent. Will work on that and a tutorial next month. And, I just realized...no pictures.

Pillowcases
This was a one shot deal for my sister, but I was so happy with them, I may have to make some up for Joseph. He's been asking for both dinosaur and robot pillowcases.

Felt Flower Making Kit
My niece loves crafting, so I created a bucket of supplies for her to make felt flower pins and hair clips. I hope she has as much fun making these as I did putting it together.


And that's about it...

Like I said, doing a handmade Christmas was rewarding and fun and utterly exhausting.

I'm thinking next year will be a Gift Card Christmas.

3 comments:

Nienipip said...

I am new to your blog, but I really like it! You have some awesome ideas, and I will be looking back into your tutorials. Thanks for all the great ideas, wish I would've found you BEFORE Christmas!! LOL

naomidelatorre said...

Wow Mandy. This has got to be the best crafing roundup I have ever seen. All of htese projects are amazingly awesome! I'm dying to try your homemade vanilla extract. And still waiting for my own knit cap and superhero cape. *sulking*

Natalie said...

Seriously, this is the best idea ever. I love them all! I need to get organized so I can do this next year. How fun!

Love the superhero cape especially. My girls think they are Jedi Knights and/or Batman/Superman so I should get cracking!