Sunday, December 19, 2010

Felt Flower Wreath

When I made the decision to try to make as many handmade gifts as possible this Christmas, I did what any normal crafter would do...

I googled.

I was sucked into crafting blogs with the swiftness that sent my head spinning. I found so many amazing crafters who stunned me with the simplicity and elegance of their art. One such blog is The Purl Bee.

When I saw Page's felt winter wreath, I just knew I needed to make it for my mother-in-law. I also knew that I'd never be able to replicate the exquisite embroidery.

I may be able to pull out a satin stitch in a pinch, but my French knots are anything but elegant.


Using Page's instructions as a starting point, I did what I do and cheated.

First off...

Instead of sewing together felt squares, I used a gorgeously textured - and already hemmed - cloth napkin from Target. 

Then, because my hand sewing is, well, not so good, I used beads to accessorize, hand stitching a single poinsettia.


I used permanent, heavy bonding fabric glue instead of basting stitches to attach the flowers to the napkin.


After securing it with a hanger made from a dowel and two wooden beads, Sue's present was ready to go. 


Pretty cute, yes?  Even if I cheated.

Side note: I can't help but think what a fun gift this would be for someone who enjoys embroidering. You could assemble the wreath and present it with spools of lovely floss and perhaps a pretty needle box.

I'm a bit bummed to see it leave.  Although, now that I think of it, I do have three more cloth napkins in that pack...

2 comments:

Domestic Scribbles said...

I second Andi--you definitely made it your own! I think the green napkin idea is terrific and as lovely as the Purl Bee one was, I don't get why the four sections of cloth to sew together--a lot of extra work to me (I don't like extra work ;o). Adding your idea to my future project file!

naomidelatorre said...

I think I could really get into this position. *She said while smearing obscene amounts of Nacho flavored balm on her lips and cracking her knuckles*