Monday, December 27, 2010

Easy Cranberry Orange Scone Recipe

Before the holiday break, my boss gave me the easiest drop scone recipe I've ever seen. They are moist, sweet and oh-so-yummy. I baked them Christmas morning and have to say, in spite of my lack of baking skills, they turned out perfect.  I followed John's lead and made a couple tweaks to the original recipe resulting in...

Cranberry Orange Scones


2 c. flour
3 T. firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 T cold butter cut into three pieces
--------------
1/2 c. craisins
1/4 c. chopped candied citrus peel
1 c. whipping cream (the recipe called for heavy cream...not sure if it's the same, but this is what I used)
2 eggs
1 liberal tsp vanilla extract (used my homemade extract...delish!)


1.  Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a baking sheet. I actually just used parchment paper and skipped the extra oil. (Which, considering I used whipping cream in this recipe, is kind of like ordering a burger with a diet Coke.)

2.  Combine dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in craisins and citrus peel.


3.  In separate bowl, whisk liquid ingredients.  Make well in the dry ingredients and pour liquid mixture in. Pretend that dry ingredients are a volcano and liquid ingredients are lava. Make silly voices telling the villagers to run for their lives. Your children will think you're funny.  Your husband will check to see if you're tippling the cooking wine.  Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Don't over mix.

4.  Drop the dough in 12 heaping spoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden.

5.  Brew a pot of tea. Pour a nice piping hot cup and enjoy your scones.

No comments: