The casualties: Six nails and my lower back.
The outcome: Worth it.
Saturday morning, I picked up the kids and headed straight to OSH where, be still my heart, their first large shipment had arrived. And, deep breaths, were marked down 25%.
I almost hyperventilated in the greenhouse.
The kids had to talk me down from the tomato high.
Let me see if I can properly explain this...
You know that feeling some women get when they go to a label sale and score a pair of Jimmy Choo's at 75% off? Or that feeling some people get hitting the Black Friday sales? Or the feeling a teenage girl gets when Justin Beiber sings "Baby, baby, baby" right. to. her?
That's the feeling I get when surrounded by vegetable plants: shortness of breath, increased heart rate, inability to think clearly, dizziness.
It's an illness, really.
Thankfully Joseph had a clear head and helped me focus. "Focus, Mommy. Focus. Where are we going to put all those tomatoes?"
Seriously, thank God for smart five-year-olds.
I ended up with nine tomatoes, four squash, six cucumbers, eight bell peppers, four basil, one sage, and the most adorable little mint plant. Considering I'm working with at least five 4 x 4 square foot beds, not too shabby. With everything planted, I still have five spots open and two more in another month after my first round of carrots are ready to harvest.
I still have a long stretch next to the house that's begging for melons and maybe a random tomato plant, but that's something for another weekend. Maybe after the tomato show...
I planted the corn along a fence and, after that sprouts, will probably end up edging it with sunflowers. The only thing that didn't get done was the green bean tepee and the nasturtiums under the tree.
It's a beautiful sight...my garden. This picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. I can't wait to see how it all looks in another month or two.
10 comments:
Holy cow, woman. That's amazing.
Awesome work- looks fantastic! I get so giddy from trips to the nursery.
I can't wait to see either! I do know the feeling, though. Unfortunately our yard is still in the process of being converted so I can have my vegetable garden. I will go out of my way to avoid veggie plants at the store or to not drive by a nursery so that I don't risk buying something I can't do justice too and put in the ground right away.
it's amazing, you're amazing...and real ;)
So come July, me, you, fresh mozzarella, balsamic vinegar, and some basil are gonna get dirty with your toms. Right?
Big time. And I have the perfect balsamic. Aged blackberry balsamic that so delish you could drink it, but really...wine would be better.
I am a real girl! I am! Also, not so amazing. More like insane.
That happened to me a couple weeks ago with some daisies. By the time I found a minute to plant them, they were pretty much dead.
It's an addiction. And I can't wait to see what it looks like in a few weeks!
Thank you...of course, I did have help. :D
Post a Comment