Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pretty as a Picture




Elizabeth has been consistently dry for two weeks. As a reward, I told her she could get something fun at Target.

"What?" she asked excitedly.

"Maybe a movie or a book or a toy. Or a coloring book or new crayons."

"Oh goody, goody," she squealed, clapping her hands and hopping in place.

Off we went to Target.

I put her in the cart and started making my way towards the toy aisles.

"Stop!" she cried. "Go back. Go back."

Backing up, I looked around to see what had caught her eye.

"That! I want that!" She pointed a chubby finger towards a display of Easter dresses. I looked at the frothy concoctions and then back at her.

"You want a dress?"

"The pink on," she said reverently, her hands clasped under her chin.

"This one?" I held up a dress that was more tulle than fabric.

"Yes! I love it," she said in a hushed voice.

"Wouldn't you rather have a toy?"

"No. I want that one."

I checked the price. It was under the mental limit I'd set. So, shrugging I put it in the cart. It stood up instead of laying down. Elizabeth twisted to look behind her. "I need new shoes and a new purse too."

"I didn't promise an ensemble!" I protested. "Besides, you already have very cute sandals that will match just fine. And your purse will too."

She stuck out her lower lip.

"Pout like that and you won't get the dress."

She held her pout for a moment. I raised a brow. She pulled in her lip and smiled. "I love my dress, Mommy."

Something tells me I'm going to be in big trouble in another few years.

3 comments:

Victoria KP said...

Every time I walk by those dresses at Target I mentally rack my brain trying to think of who I could get one for. Sadly, I'm the only dress-wearer in this house. And tulle & satin just doesn't work when you're over 12.

Kir said...

I'm with Victoria, I have daydreams of satin and tulle :)

but that one is one gorgeous little girl in one perfectly pink dress!!! That picture just made me smile :)

Christine E-E said...

i'm proud of you for supporting Elizabeth's choice... I KNOW you would have preferred something different, but you are allowing her to develop her own style. WTG...