Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Wheel Turns

(You know I'm a nerd when I start quoting Wheel of Time for my titles.)

I'm fighting an overwhelming urge to run away to Tuscany.

Or Scotland.

I'm not picky.

I wrote the Sixth Earl of Grey to see if he'd marry me so that I'd have access to all his lovely tea. Apparently he's 82, which probably wouldn't work too well in the long term.

Or, as I told Cheryl, I could always be the Wealthy Widow Dowager Countess Grey. Has a ring to it, yes?

Don't worry. Reality intruded by way of the fact that I'm not actually divorced yet.

Still, the wheel is turning and the pattern is changing. (Oh God. Seriously?! Nerd alert.) I've been at my new job for three weeks. It's different than my warm fuzzy place. Not bad at all! Just busier and more officially. (Yes. It's a word. Sort of.) I'm having a tough time with the busy.

I don't mind busy at work, but busy at work plus longer hours plus tee ball plus planning Easter brunch plus planning Joseph's birthday party plus planning a baby shower plus Supper Club plus writing plus scheduling time with the kids plus filing for divorce plus starting a long distance thing that I'm not really ready to write about plus gardening plus blogging plus plus plus all equals a Mandy who needs to either clone herself or run away to Tuscany.

Or Scotland.

Am I repeating myself?

So, at the risk of sounding totally materialistic, I wanted to plant a little seed:

If any of you happen to be publishers or perhaps lotto winners or even potential lotto winners, I'd really appreciate a six or twelve month all expense paid trip to Tuscany (or Scotland) where I would spend all my time homeschooling my children, living the life of a hermit, and writing the next best selling memoir turned movie.

Or erotica turned movie.

I'm not picky.

10 comments:

Kate Peck said...

I know that this is not what I'm supposed to take from this post, but ... Have you read Fifty Shades of Gray? I haven't read it, but of course have heard about it. I'm fascinated to learn it's going to be a movie. And I want to know if people whose reading choices I may respect are recommending. Something tells me that those people may be reading it, but aren't willing to admit it. 

Cameron (CDG) said...

Can I be the governess when you're the Countess Grey?

Krista said...

I played the Mega Millions last night.  If I had won, I would have totally sent you to Tuscany (or Scotland...more likely Scotland...because I'm in love with that place...but it's your dream, not mine...I'm rambling now...)

ashleya0403 said...

haha, your title made me smile.  I was finally able to pace myself, around the 7th-8th book (on the 9th now, but it's slow going due to work only...the books are still just as engaging, but work is more pressing unfortunately)!  

I've found that as I read them, I'm way more "eh, life goes on" about reality, lol.  As you quoted, the wheel turns.  Things go on, things change, and generally I've found this small truth in the books to be very helpful for me in real life.

Ok, on to the real post.  sorry. lol.  I hope you are able to get settled soon!  I am right there with you, overwhelmed with too many things pulling.  When does it stop, I wonder?

Mandy Dawson said...

I haven't. I keep wondering if I should pick it up to see what all the fuss is about. One of my writer friends read it and wasn't impressed. But a lot of the moms on my forum are totally loving it. In other words, I'm SO not any help.

Mandy Dawson said...

In a gothic manor? With moors? Somewhere? #switchinggenres

Mandy Dawson said...

YES! And um...I'd totally let you pick. Tuscany might be nice this time of year.

Mandy Dawson said...

It has to soon.

I keep pulling things from the books into real life too. I think it's part of the genius of the author that he can relate to so many people with his story.

I find myself contemplating The Way of the Leaf and ta'veren. I feel myself sometimes being pulled in certain directions and can see a pattern developing. It's an interesting theory and I wonder how much of it is my need to see some sort of order in the chaos of my life and how much of it is being deeply invovled in some pretty awesome books. :)

ashleya0403 said...

exactly, I think about that as well.  Also I'm really inspired by the women (especially in the later books), and how they come into their own.  So many things about the story just makes me put the book down and go on and on to John about how genius it is, lol.  It's really an awesome series.  So thank you! 

Christine E-E said...

you are so funny! I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight to Wash DC... still hacking away! I hate this cough! new medication but it sure makes me feel weird.
Have a good weekend!