"I'm going to warn you again," I teased, "these dinners last hours."
"No way. You're exaggerating."
"Hours," I emphasized gleefully. We'd only been dating a few weeks but I already knew how much he hated dinner parties, especially dinner parties filled with people he didn't know. "You'll love it," I insisted evilly as he pulled open the door.
I caught sight of the birthday girl seconds after we walked into the bar. Raising my hand to wave, I stopped, the blood leaving my face. Sitting next to her was my most recent ex boyfriend. I hadn't seen or talked to him in months. Once, I'd thought we'd stay friends. Then, I'd found out he'd cheated on me the last few months of our relationship. My stomach knotted at the memory of humiliation when I'd accidentally discovered I'd "shared" my boyfriend with a woman in my class for the better part of a year.
I clutched Chad's hand tighter. "Oh my God," I whispered fiercely in his ear, pasting a smile on my face. Carl is here."
"Where?" Chad looked around the room.
"Don't look!" I hissed, pulling his arm down. "He's sitting next to the birthday girl." Instantly, I realized her husband must have invited him. They'd been friends for years and he'd been responsible for setting us up. "It's okay," I managed. "Just smile and nod."
Chad raised his brows. "Do you want to leave?"
"You're not getting out of it this easy," I laughed, the sound fake even to my own ears. Over his shoulder, I caught sight of another friend talking to a tall, familiar looking man. "You have got to be kidding me!"
The man turned and caught my eye, a wide smile splitting his face. "Mandy!" he exclaimed walking over to me with a loose gait, a beer in one hand. He gave me a casual hug. "How have you been?"
I smiled back, the shock dissipating. "Dan! Good to see you. It's been a while. I'd like you to meet my boyfriend Chad."
Chad looked at me, a question in his eyes. "Chad. This is Dan."
I watched as my current boyfriend shook hands with my first boyfriend, looking past them to my friend who shrugged her shoulders in a silent apology. A warm voice spoke in my ear.
"Well, this is awkward."
I spun around shaking my head. "Hey Derek! I didn't know you were going to be here."
"The birthday girl invited me. She must have it out for you."
"Apparently," I said, hugging an old friend who had been much more than a friend. "What is this?"
"It could be your version hell," Derek laughed. "I saw you walk in and bought you this." He handed me a cranberry vodka, the fumes of the alcohol overpowering the restaurant's smell of garlic and bread.
"I think I'm going to need it."
This week's post was inspired by the Write on Edge memoir prompt. Yes. This is a true story - though the names have been changed. And yes, it was tense.
17 comments:
ugh...why? I've been in this situation and this is why my wife and I have a rule - NO Exes.
You built the tension and told a hell of a story. good work.
Oh, lord.
I'm still close with many guys I dated/whatevered with over the years, and bless Mark, his most significant girlfriend before me ended up being one of my bridesmaids... Pretty much every party we have/go to is like that. Just less awkward.
Dude! That's too many exes for one room. How did it go? Did anyonw get punched? Tears? Just wondering...
oh my word!
This happened to my aunt one time, years after she was married, but my uncle and family teased her relentlessly because both other men had also been in love with her.
Oh did I mention we were at a funeral?
hahahaa
this happens to me, ummmm alot. You notice I use the present tense, because everytime I take my husband to my hometown, we always run into SOMEONE I dated. LOL. The list is LONG and distinguished.
your way of writing about it was pitch perfect. I felt the snakes in my tummy, just like I *ahem* always do. :)So good to read you writing Mandy.
OMG I had totally forgotten about this night! It was funny, but sooooo not funny all at the same time. It was like not watching the train wreck but being a part of it, you did handle it well! The silver lining was that the restaurant had a full bar...
I've been in this spot once or twice but thankfully NEVER with the DH.
Mind if I share? Thanks!
On a second date with "Ross" we walked into my favorite bar and ran into my "first." First was a very intimidating, very TALL, very LARGE one-time professional football player. First grabbed me up, hands on my ass and laid one on me. After I berated him I found Ross hiding in a corner. And nope, Ross never said a word.
Also: loved this! I chuckled through the entire post.
So did I. You know...ten years later.
Oh dear. Poor "Ross". :D
Also, where do you find those ex pro football players? I've never actually met one, but I hear they're all over the place. Kind of like lemurs. (Sorry. This is what happens when I reply after my bedtime.)
So good to have you visit, friend.
Oh wow. A funeral??? That's funny in a so-inappropriate way.
No tears, no punching, lots of vodka.
Big time.
I think I would be able to handle it all much better now. At the time, though, Chad and I had only been dating for about six weeks and had recently moved in together. I spent half the night worried he'd punch someone. Obviously I didn't know the man well enough yet. :D
Thanks! And the why is because I live in a surprisingly small town. Surprising because I always think it's big enough to roam without running into people I know. Yet I always do.
This made me giggle in that uncomfortable, so glad it wasn't me, way. How many drinks did it take to feel comfortable???
Post a Comment