Walking around a tree, she caught sight of the crowd. She paused, thinking furiously of a way out. According to her agent, the producer and director were big wigs on Broadway with family in DC. She plucked at the cloth against her skin, the sticky summer air making it cling. If she made a good impression with this charity event, it might parlay into something more. She could feel her make up sliding down her face and had no doubt it was settling into the fine lines around her mouth.
Honey leaned against the tree, eyeing the stage a few hundred feet ahead. People milled in groups at its base. The sound of laughter and conversation floated across air that hung thickly without a hint of a breeze. The sun hovered just above the trees, splashing golden light across a backdrop painted garishly with flowers and trees.
Leaning closer, Honey snorted. Good God. It looked like it had been painted by a child. Sighing, she shifted her feet in their ballet flats, the shimmery pom pom on top wiggling. It was no use. She was going to have to do it.
"Well, well, who do we have here?"
Honey turned toward the deep voice. A man not much taller than she stood a few feet away. He was dressed casually in slacks and a short sleeved tee shirt. Frustration sliced through her as she noticed he wasn't breaking a sweat.
His eyes ran down her body, taking in the flowered crown, the iridescent leotard, and the fluttery skirt. Tilting to the side, he grinned at the wings sprouting from her back.
"Looks like I've found Tinkerbell."
"Obviously," she rolled her eyes and turned back towards the stage, dismissing him.
"I was wondering if I'd find a fairy flitting around the Mall."
"It must be your lucky day," Honey said absently, not moving her eyes from the crowd.
"I'm starting to think it might be."
Honey spun around, taking a half step back when she saw that he'd moved closer. "Look, I don't have time for this."
"Time for what?"
"Let me make this easier for you, sugar." Honey held up her hand. "I'm working, you're not my type," she bent a finger for each point, "I'm not going to sprinkle fairy dust on anything and I don't go out with men who are shorter than I am." Honey paused, her middle finger still up, mock surprise on her face. "Would you look at that? I thought I had five reasons."
The man leaned back, the smile off his face. "I may have a fifth reason that will negate your," he paused, jaw tight, "reasons."
"Oh really," Honey drawled.
He held up his index finger, "I'm the producer for this little job." He held up a second finger. "Oh wait. There's one more reason. I'm the man with the paycheck and you're late."
"Fantastic." Honey forced the flush away from her cheeks. "I can assume I'm fired?"
This piece of fiction was inspired by the Write on Edge prompt that required me to pick four numbers and then create something using those elements. My numbers corresponded to: an actress, a mall, summer, and something embarassing. I hope you enjoyed this little glimpse of Honey's East Coast life. If this is your first time here, check out the rest of the Hidden Hollow series under Fictional Mandyland.
20 comments:
I loved this. LOVED this. Positively brilliant! I think it's perfect that her name is Honey and her reaction is the opposite of sweet.
very funny ending. I like that she handled the news well - no trying to apologise or make excuses. She seems like a cool character.
Oops!!! Great story! Love the ending. Over from WOE.
Oh, Honey.
And yet, I get the sense this isn't the end...
What Cam said :)
Poor Honey, can't seem to catch a break!
Awesome. I love the detail when she's talking about the makeup settling around her mouth. She is so conscious of her beauty, and the power it brings.
And yet....she keeps stepping in it.
That finger gag? Hilarious. I love her for it.
Once upon a time I was a young, male, retail manager (I'm still male, just sayin') working in a mens clothing store and I had an early 20's sales associate working for me, whose name was Honey. Every time I called out her name in the store I got dirty looks from the customers. I really liked honey, but I was happy when she left!
I liked your story and the ending was hilarious! Honey certainly stepped in it!
There's an oops.
I love the banter; it's got good rhythm. And I can definitely identify with letting my mouth get the best of me. Nice job.
I really enjoy reading Honey, and I love that she just can't seem to keep herself out of trouble, even when she's trying :)
Still laughing at her counting down on her fingers.
Oh snap. Been there, Honey. Been there! I hate being snotty and then having to put my foot in my mouth!
It seems to happen to Honey with regular frequency...
I was pretty proud of that one...
Thanks! I think Honey is that person who says what we're all thinking and then ends up getting back what we're all afraid we'd get back. :)
Thanks! I used to work with a 50-ish year old waitress who called everyone Honey. All she was missing was a cigarette and a beehive. Her "honey"-ing was contagious and after working a shift with her, I was doing the same.
Except I was 19.
Not quite the same reaction as she got.
But seriously...don't you think she needs to learn a few more karmatic lessons?
The end? Don't be silly...
Thanks!
She's nothing if not cool.
If you get a chance, you should check out her other exploits in Fictional Mandyland (up top). She's not sweet. At all.
I like everything Mandyland writes!
Post a Comment