Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pumpkin Muffins

Do you remember THE pumpkin muffin recipe?  The one that so easy, even I can make them?  The one that's low calorie, low fat and high in yumminess?


With fall in the air - or at least on the calendar - I decided to make them.  It's been a while.  Almost eight months.  They were as delicious as I remember.  And the kids couldn't eat them fast enough.

But here's the really, super, uber cool part.

BodyMedia FIT has an activity manager where I log my calorie intake.  The data base has a "Recipe Creator" which will give me the nutritional information per serving for my favorite recipes.

So...

I logged in one box of Betty Crocker's Spice Cake Mix and one can of pumpkin.  Since I made mini-muffins - 32 to be exact - I entered 32 servings.  The recipe creator did a little bleep, bleep, bleep* and spit out...

56 calories per mini muffin.

Fifty six!

Ho-ly pumpkin love, Batman.  I think I'll have a couple more.


*I understand that computers no longer make little bleeping sounds before spitting out the answers a la 1960's movies.  But you don't understand how slow my computer's been lately.)

7 comments:

Sophie said...

Hey thanks for the comment on Little Gumnut - errrm no, no morning tea every day! Just in occasionally in the holidays! :)

Anonymous said...

And here I had this vision of Australian Tea Time with cakes and bisquits every day. :)

Katrina said...

Question about the recipe.. do you just put in the pumpkin and the mix or do I add the ingredients for the cake? <> I want to make them but I DONT want to mess them up :)

Anonymous said...

Trina - Yep. A box of Betty Crocker and a can of pumpkin. Mix. Super simple.

Becca said...

Hi...I've seen this recipe and it seems delicious!! I hate to burst your bubble...but where are you coming up with ten calories per muffin?? According to Betty Crocker's website, a box of spice cake mix (just the mix, not prepared) has 160 calories per serving, and at ten servings in a box, it's 1600 calories just for the mix....and the small can of pumpkin has 5 40-cal servings (200 total)...so that's 1800 calories for the whole recipe...and 56 calories per mini muffin. Don't get me wrong, still not bad at all...but just want to make sure you have the correct information!!

mandyland said...

And this is what happens when someone not so great at math tries to do the math. :) Thanks and I'll make the change in the recipe.

mandyland said...

HA! Just re-read the post. I think it was more of a technical error. Regardless, I'll fix it!