Saturday, October 23, 2010

Adventures of a Frumpy Mom

Hmmm...if I ever decide to re-do Mandyland, that's actually a pretty awesome title.

Onward!

I took the kids out for frozen yogurt yesterday.  We went to our little local build-it-yourself place where we perused the selection of 5000 toppings and tried to figure out what would go best with our vanilla.  Because the kids and I are vanilla people.

Finally finding our topping joy - rainbow sprinkles for Joseph, Heath bar for E and I - we went to pay.  The owner of the shop was on a phone call, a supplier from the sound of it.  We placed our concoctions on the scale and waited while until he moved the phone from his mouth and said, "That'll be $5.15.  Do you want lids for these?"

"No.  I think we're going to go ahead and eat it here."  He nodded and went back to his conversation.

Two minutes later, a Mom walks in.  A Mom with a capital M.  She waltzes in with her too cute for words ruffled ballet flats, her perfect jeans on her slim body, her knit top and jacket casually coordinated with an artsy necklace and her three children dressed in private school uniforms.  They wander through the store, making their selections and then go to the counter.  The owner puts his call on hold and then spends the next five minutes flirting with the Mom, asking if they wanted to eat at the shop, asking about her kids - nearly asking what her sign was.

The Mom smiles, flips back her adorable hair and says, "We're taking it to go."

"Do you want some chocolate dipped strawberries?  I'll just throw them in."

"That would be great!"  And off she walks, herding her children out the door.  The owner stares after her and then, belatedly remember to pick up his phone.

Her shoes really were to-die for.

And maybe next time we leave the house, I'll brush my hair.  I like chocolate covered strawberries.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for the laugh! It was especially good timing as I just had this conversation with Sunny the other day and we too, feel like frumpy moms.

Christine said...

That's so funny, because I know right where you're coming from. I like strawberries too.

Sarah Goible said...

Oh man, I look like a frumpy mom more than not... especially on days that I work due to the location of my employment. I just wonder what that mom does... and yes, I would brush my hair for strawberries too! ;D

Yuliya said...

just call me F for frumpy! Though I might throw some make on the old face if chocolate covered strawberries were involved.

jenhiatt said...

Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Sarah and Katie - I have NEVER seen you look like a frumpy mom. :)

Yuliya - Wow. Make up? That's stepping it up a notch! :)

Ashley said...

Too funny! I remember the days when I used to have it semi-together. Then last week I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I realized I was wearing Mom Jeans. No more strawberries for me... =)

Christine E-E said...

ooohhhh... those moms make me feel even frumpier! how dare they?