Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Teaser

Just thought I'd post a little bit of what I've been working on for NaNoWriMo. It's pretty rough, but at least I ran a spell check. Win!

(Funny story. I actually typed "wine" instead of "win". Hmm.)

Here you go:

------------------------------


“You’ve got this, babe.”

“If you tell me that one more time, I will most likely beat you,” Kate swallowed against the rising nausea. “Slow, the hell down.”

Travis eased up on the gas, creeping along the street.

“Hey Mom! That guy on the bicycle just passed us,” Hunter said from the back seat.

“Not helpful son!” Travis’s chipper voice grated on Kate’s nerves.

“The dog passed us too,” Brayden added.

“Boys,” Kate’s voice was a weak croak, “stop talking or I get out the duct tape.”

Silence reigned in the back seat. She cracked open one eye wondering why the empty threat had worked. Next to her, Travis was engaged in an elaborate pantomime while steering the car with one hand as it inched along the street. He twirled his finger by his ear and pointed in her direction, coming to an abrupt halt when he noticed her looking at him.

“You’ll pay for that later,” she said, her voice like steel.

He nodded with a contrite look on his face.

The car rolled to a gentle halt in front of Natalie’s townhouse. Tucked between two other units, it was a modern version of a Victorian home, complete with gingerbread details and tiny wooden porches. Four sets of units formed a courtyard containing picnic table and a barbeque. Roses just beginning to show green sprouts bordered brick walk ways.

“You need help out?” Travis asked.

Kate glared at him. “I’m fine now that this damn car stopped moving.”

“Yes, dear.”

“Stop being a smart ass. It’s a bad influence on the boys.”

The boys had already jumped out of the car and were walking towards Natalie’s front door. “Brayden!” Kate yelled out her open door, “do not hit the roses.” Brayden lowered his arm from where it had been about to decapitate a pale green leaf barely unfurling. She’d think they’d be more aware of plant life with all the gardening she made them do. If not aware, more considerate perhaps, of the green things surrounding them.

Kate sighed and stepped out of the car. She met Travis at the back of the SUV where he was pulling out a box containing a red Dutch oven filled with soda bread.

“I’m sorry, babe,” she said wrapping her arms around him and leaning on his back. She breathed in the scent of him. He smelled of sandalwood and that uniquely spicy blend that was pure Travis. She buried her head in the spot between his shoulder blades. It was her spot, that shallow dip that cradled her head so perfectly.

He brought one hand up and covered the two clutched to his chest. He gave her arms a squeeze. “It’s okay, Kate. I know.”

“I don’t mean to be such a bitch.”

“Really, Kate. It’s okay.”

“Do you think it will be? This time?” She closed her eyes and willed her stomach to settle. She took a perverse joy in the nausea. According to everything she’d read and what her doctor had said, it was a good sign.

“I do,” Travis said firmly. “I think this time is the right time. The other times,” his voice lowered and Kate felt him take a breath, “the other times weren’t right for whatever reason. It’s going to be okay.”

Kate squeezed him tightly pushing the air out of his lungs before releasing him. “I think I’ll say something tonight. Do you think it’s inappropriate?”

Travis cocked his head to the side and thought, “No. I don’t think so. I have a feeling everyone wants something to take their mind off of Monday.” He scooped the Dutch oven out of the car and cradled it in the crook of his arm. Stepping back, he closed the back of the SUV and took Kate’s hand. Together, they walked to Natalie’s open doorway.

“The boys should have closed that door,” Kate muttered. “I’ll announce it after dinner.”

“Yes, dear.”

“It’s a good thing I love you.”

“That it is,” he replied with satisfaction.

They walked up the three steps and through the door into a war zone.

2 comments:

christine.e-e said...

sounds like the beginning of a family holiday dinner. waiting at LAX for flight to Wash DC. Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Cameron Garriepy said...

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it!