Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Star Wars Lego Birthday Bash Re-hash

Three months before Joseph turned six, I asked if he had any requests for his birthday.

"I want it to be Lego Star Wars!"

"Then Lego Star Wars it will be!" I declared. Or I might have just said okay.

The problem with a themed birthday party, is that a lot of the pre-done stuff out there is, well, lame. I'm not a huge fan of invites that are fill in the blank. I like something different, unusual, cheap. Which means I typically end up making my own.

The idea for Joseph's invite came from the realization he was going to be six. And "sixth birthday" just morphs beautifully into "sith birthday". I found the clip art online and, with a little cut and pasting, a few auto shapes, and Joseph's love of comics, I came up with something I'm quite proud of.


I kept the decorations minimal. Fine. There weren't any decorations, per se. There was, however, temperatures in the upper 90's.

And there were Jedi robes and light sabers. After a lot of web browsing, I found this pattern and have to say...it kicked intergalatic butt. As for the pool noodle light sabers? A little silver duct tape, some stickers, and we had light sabers that didn't cause concussions.


We were visited by a wooky. And Han.


There was Leia.

And Vader who, when asked by the birthday boy, "Who are you?" replied, "Joseph. I am your father."

Cue adult laughter and bow from Vader.

I don't think the kids noticed a lack of decor. Especially since there were cupcakes.


We topped of the afternoon with ice cream and, of course, an epic battle that devolved into me turning on the hose to keep the kids from overheating.


Joseph was happy. Chewbacca eventually recovered from heat stroke. And as for me, I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out.

7 comments:

Karen @ Time Crafted said...

You rock, Mama!  Loved seeing all the updates for his party.  Though, I was careful to not let my kids see them.  Wouldn't want to raise their expectations, right?!

My girl is asking for a Pokemon birthday party.  The same girl who has had Princess parties all the other years.  She did give me Finding Nemo as a backup though.  We'll see.....

Cameron (CDG) said...

I bow to your superior wit and crafting skills.
What an awesome party, Mama.

Duffy said...

My son would have exploded from the awesome.

Mandy Dawson said...

Mine nearly did. ;)

Mandy Dawson said...

Mine nearly did. ;)

Mandy Dawson said...

Pfffttt...I bow to your superior baking skills. Those cupcakes were store bought, lady. :)

Mandy Dawson said...

Ooo...I like the Finding Nemo party. You can send the kids off to find Nemo. Treasure hunt! Err...FISH hunt!