I stood at the kitchen sink, looking out the window to the back yard while cool water streamed over hot pasta. A bowl of colorfully chopped bell peppers, tomatoes, olives, and cheese sat waiting in a jumble of red, orange, yellow, white, and black.
The hens were in the grass, pecking and eating bugs. Leaning forward, I idly looked towards the garden, searching for my chicks.
Elizabeth stood between the two rows of peas, floral sun hat shading her face. Joseph stood next to her, his baseball cap in hand. Together, they plucked plump peas, the delicate green vines shaking against the trellis. Filling the cap, they turned and ran out of the garden, slowing to climb the steps and then running again to cross the grass. They sat on the deck, leaning their bodies against the wooden bench. Elizabeth waited while Joseph peeled the peas, slipping them out of their pods.
I watched their fingers, gray with dust and dirt, stuff the sweet green garden candy into their mouths as fast as Joseph could peel. They threw the handful of empty shells towards the chickens. One hit the top of Miss Clucks head, sending her into a flapping squawk before she settled down and pecked at the offending pod.
Finishing, Joseph and Elizabeth ran back down the steps, back into the garden, to start the process over.
Smiling, I thought about summer when tomatoes, grapes, apples, and cucumbers would join the mix of readily available garden snacks. I thought of the kids picking their fill of juicy, ripe tomatoes and eating them warm off the vine. I thought of them, their arms sticky with grape juice, sitting under the green bean teepee.
And I realized I'm helping them make memories. When they're older - teens, adults, parents - they'll sit and remember, thinking back to the tiny house we shared. Elizabeth's memories will be nearly non existent. Joseph's will be fuzzy. But they'll remember other springs and summers of picking vegetables and fruits out of their mother's garden. They'll remember the chickens pecking. They'll remember drinking from the garden hose. They'll remember the joy, the laughter, the feeling of independence and stolen snacks.
All I've ever wanted to do as a mother is provide my children with good memories. Memories to warm. Memories to strengthen. Memories to last.
When I first started planting my garden, it was for "free", readily available vegetables. Then it became a passion, to dig in the dirt. Little did I realize it would also become something more.
A memory.
12 comments:
I love that amidst all the loveliness, I've also picked up a new garden tip ;)
you'll be surprised at what they remember! I love your vivid descriptions of Elizabeth & Joseph in the backyard of your sweet little house... memory making at its best!
Mandy I still read every single post you write, in my inbox, and I just realized that you probably don't even know who I am! It has been THAT, LONG since I've left you a comment. I am so sorry. So here I am, because this post is absolutely, life-changingly (not a word, apparently, but I just made it so, and you can quote me on that,) yes, life-changingly, perfect.
The fact that I have so many lovely memories of my childhood (no matter how fraught with other, less fortunate ones,) is what has given me strength to get through so many challenges in my adult life. And yet somehow I have failed to connect this with my own quest as a mother... at least so far, I guess.
What I'm trying (and failing miserably, obviously) to say is that I hadn't thought about being a mother in quite the same light you just so easily and beautifully conveyed. For that, and all the other beautiful posts I have loved through these months of bed rest and early mommy-hood (3rd and last baby; not missing ONE, SECOND of the love!!!) ...Thank you, Mandy!!!
Thank you, and God bless you and your sweet babies...
It is the little things truly, isn't it?
Loved your detail in this post!
You know your children will most likely pass all of their memories down to their children. Very sweet.
I love it....the garden, the free produce...the memories! Awesome and sweet.
Thank you so much!
I hope so. When I'm old and still a brunette because I dye my hair, I hope they tell my grandchildren what an awesome mom I am. :D
It is. Truly.
I'm so sorry to hear you were on bed rest!! For months? You are a strong woman. Are you and the baby doing okay???
Thank you so much for your sweet words. It's weird sometimes, to write and not know who's reading. And then to wonder if they'll get what I'm trying to say. To hear that you do makes me feel all warm and gooey inside.
Take care and never apologize for not commenting. xoxox
If they don't remember, I'll make sure to print these out to re-create the memories.
Green bean teepee? ;)
Post a Comment