Thursday, March 22, 2012

Do you believe in magic?

My moms' forum had an interesting thread today. A question was posted:

Where do fantasy and reality meet in your house?

It made me think and then admit, with no little embarrassment, fantasy and reality are very flexible in my home.

My kids believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny and leprechauns. In fact, I have Joseph half convinced he's part leprechaun because of his red hair. I told him we'd have to wait to see if he keeps getting taller to know for sure. We both agreed Elizabeth is obviously a leprechaun for sure because she makes so many messes.

We also believe if we sing to our seeds when planting them, they'll grow faster. (And when I read the Wheel of Time books, I was shocked to discover the Ogier and Aiel did the same. Obviously, that means I'm part Ogier. Or maybe Aiel.) At the very least, we must always tell them to "grow little seed, grow" after patting the dirt down. And because we love our garden, we're in the midst of designing a fairy garden so we can see if a few fairies will move in and help us out.

But don't worry! Elizabeth knows Tinkerbell can't live at our house because she lives in Pixie Hollow.

And they both believe I'm magic.

Yes. Me.

That's why my kisses make boo boos better. It's how I know Joseph needs a hug right this second or else he's going to cry. It's how I know they threw their vegetables away when I wasn't looking and stuffed their toys in the closet rather than put them away. It's how I know they didn't really brush their teeth or use soap on their hands. And it's how the morning stands still if we snuggle under the covers and close our eyes.

As for why gates and doors open with a wave of my hand, Joseph's decided that's not magic. It's the Force.

Some things, I can't make them believe. They don't believe me when I told them about flying fish or Leap Day. And for some reason they never believe I'm going to beat their butts if they don't behave right this second.

I have to ask myself, am I lying to them by blurring the lines of fantasy and reality?

I don't think so because to be honest, I kind of believe in magic too.

4 comments:

Kate Peck said...

I love this and I am so with you on it. I feel so badly for kids who don't believe in magic. I feel like they are missing out on one of the most important aspects of being a kid. And, as an adult, I don't feel I was lied to. I feel better off for it, and I kind of still believe in magic too.

Now, tell me more about this fairy garden ...

naomidelatorre said...

I believe in magic too. In fact I am enjoying this time when my kids are young because I can dive back into the magic of childhood with them again. Love this post.

Jen @ Real Life Parenting said...

I love this! Absolutely love it!


My kids are 12 and 14 and we still talk about "magic" ... and, yes, they still believe that I must have magical powers to know exactly who they're texting and when they're on their phones when they're not supposed to be. Yes, I am magic. ;)

mandyland said...

I think all moms are magic which makes me believe in it all the more.