Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Handmade Christmas Gifts

Every year, I rush around like a madwoman, sewing, gluing and crafting Christmas items for the annual craft fair.  Every year, I sit in my booth and barely make enough to cover rental because the shoppers at craft fairs are really crafters in disguise, just looking for new ideas for their Etsy shops.

Every year, I then turn around and scramble to buy gifts for those near and dear.  Well, kids, this year, there's a change of plans.

*cue instrumental music*

This year, instead of renting a booth at the craft fair,  I'm going to attempt to make all of my Christmas gifts.  Or at least 90% of them.

I have some ideas from scouring the tutorials, websites and blogs of Craftinistas across the internet, in magazines and books.  (And one from my own little brain.)

Fantastic ideas.

Craftastic ideas.

Ideas for the women in my life.

Ideas for the gardeners in my life.

Ideas for the men in my life.

Ideas for the children in my life.

And I can't share a single one without spoiling the surprise!  Because all of the recipients of these gifts read my blog.

This is indeed an dilemma.

So...here's the question, if I put a gift idea and tutorial on here with a "Spoiler Alert" and said, "My friends should not peek."  Would you look?  How honest would you be?  Or do you mind a spoiled surprise?

Because my fingers are itchin' to type.  My camera is beggin'  to take pictures.

Quite the dilemma.

Ohhh...I just had another thought.  It's too, too delicious.  What if...what if I were to host a few giveaways for some of my favorite readers?

What do you think?

7 comments:

Sophie said...

I love it! I made almost all of mine last year and wanted to blog about it but my family reads the blog (fortunately hardly any of my real life friends do) but I couldn't resist posting partial photos as teasers!! One thing I've done for friends the last couple of years is make a goody bag of edible treats... This year I might find some op shop teacup sets and fill them with little homemade chocolate truffles or mints. Only thing is I daren't tell anyone I'm planning on getting their presents at an op shop!!! eeek. Too daggy?

Anonymous said...

Oh! Teasers! I like it. Maybe I can do teasers now and tutorials after Christmas. Hmmmm...

And...um...op shop? Is that like a thrift store?

After consulting my Australian/English Urban Dictionary, I've discovered that daggy means either:

not stylish, out of fashion, not trendy, not cool, untidy, unclean, not neat

or

Extremely sexy, hot, cool, or fierce

Which strikes me as funny. Either way, I think that teacups, especially vintage or shabby chic ones, are an AWESOME gift. Not daggy at all. :)

jenhiatt said...

I would love to see another giveaway! I wish I had something to giveaway on my blog. I am seriously lacking followers :)

Am I a huge surprise spoiler so if I was one of your gift receivers (which I know I am not, but not the point), I would totally look. I am the kind of person that reads the last 2 pages of a book before I start it. I am the person who will read the plot info online if I DVRed my favorite show and didn't have time to watch it yet. Drives my husband crazy.

Anonymous said...

Jen - I KNEW we had more in common than non-handy husbands, blogging and a love of "method" cooking!

I read, DURING the movie no less, the Wikipedia entry that gives away every plot and story line. Especially if that movie is a bit tense.

I also flip ahead if it doesn't look like I'll be able to finish my book in a day. BAD habit. Can't stand not knowing what will happen!

Heather T - sloCooking said...

I know the horror - but you're just going to have to sit on the photos and the posts about the gifts. Either that or give out your gifts EARLY! I go through that every year with my Gothtober.com day - have everything ready, want to load it to the blog, but must wait until after my day launches! Good luck with that!

jenhiatt said...

Yes, I have a feeling we have a lot in common.

Thanks for the wiki tip! Now when we watch a movie I can discreetly look up the plot on my phone, instead of asking Chris 100 times and making him crazy, what is going to happen. And yes, especially intense movies. I cant stand the suspense!

*kate said...

I need some gift ideas, so please share!