Monday, October 25, 2010

Chicken Chili Recipe

Last night was a bit chilly, so I decided to make chili

With my normal inability to follow a recipe, I combined three I found on the internet, two from a cookbook and one I seem to remember from a magazine. Or was that a chili verde recipe?  Hmm...

Regardless, I was super happy with how it turned out. 

I'm giving it five soup spoons.

Or at least I would if I had a rating system.

Chicken Chili Recipe


1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
olive oil

28 oz. chicken broth
7 tomatillos, finely chopped
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. oregano
3 T. fresh chopped cilantro
1 can Ortega chilies
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced stewed tomatoes
2 c. fresh or frozen corn
2 c. diced, cooked chicken

Step 1.  Saute your onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are clear.

Step 2.  Add chicken broth, tomatillos and herbs.  Bring to a simmer.

Step 3.  Add everything else.

Step 4.  Simmer, simmer, simmer for about 30 minutes.  (Or until you finish making the cornbread.  What?  You mean I have to tell you that it's mandatory to have cornbread with your chili?  Geesh!)

Step 5.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream and/or shredded cheese and/or additional fresh cilantro.  Or serve it plain.  No matter how you serve it, you'll love it.  Personally, I crumble a bit of cornbread in mine.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Yuliya said...

See now that there is a RECIPE! (for yumminess)

Anonymous said...

This sounds so good! It would have gone great with the cornbread I made yesterday.

Ashley said...

Sounds delicious! I actually planned to make chicken chili one night this week and now I'm thinking I might try this recipe instead! Yum!

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you, ladies, I was super happy with how it turned out. I think the fresh corn and tomatillos were key. The kids ate so much, I thought their little bellies were going to pop. :)

Andrea said...

Ooh, that sounds SO yum. I love chicken chili!!!