Saturday, June 26, 2010

Let's Talk Gnocchi Recipe

First of all, apparently I've been mispronouncing the name of these delicious dumplings for years.  Blame it on my Oakie upbringing.  It's not "no-chi" it's "no-key".

What?  You didn't realize I spent my formative years living in the Ozarks?  The stories I could tell!  Wonderful, wild summers of warm rains and mud pies.  Cold winters of snow too deep to walk in and Mom warming our clothes over the open oven. 

But moving onward...

On our trip to Davis, we stopped at the Olive Garden where Chad, too sick to eat anything but soup, ordered their gnocchi soup.  Elizabeth shared and wouldn't stop eating the bits of potato and flour.  Last weekend, Joseph and I decided to try to make a homemade version.

In a word, fun.  In two words, surprisingly easy.  In three words, super duper yummy.

I thought I'd share the recipe:

Gnocchi

1 c. mashed potatoes
2 c. flour
1 egg

Let's start with the mashed potatoes, shall we?  If you're like me and like your potatoes somewhat al dente, then you're going to have to move outside your comfort zone.  Peel and cook the potatoes, not until they're tender, but until they're downright soft.

Drain and rinse then mash away.  The first time I did this, I used a potato masher.  Fine and dandy, but why smash lumps when you can throw them in a food processor and accomplish the same feat in a fraction of the time.

Unless, of course, you need to work out some frustrations.  Then, by all means, mash away.

Next add the egg.  Cream it up.

Add the flour, one cup at a time and mix until a dough ball forms.  You may not need all the flour, so add it slowly.  Otherwise you'll end up with a crumbly mess.

Grab a hunk - no, we're not talking about a good lookin' guy and yes, that's why I don't mind watching the World Cup, but I digress.  *fans face*

Roll the hunk of dough into a snake on a floured surface.  This is a great step for the child in your life.  Joseph loved rolling out the "play" dough.

Cut the snake into 1" pieces.  Take your fork and gently press down into the pillowy plumps.  Or give a fork to your child and let him smash it.

Repeat until all the dough has been rolled and cut.

Drop gently into boiling water and cook until the gnocchi floats.  Serve with Elizabeth's favorite:  olive oil, salt, pepper and parm cheese.  Or serve with Joseph's fave:  marinara and cheese.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Christine E-E said...

sounds so easy! & tasty! I would eat them like Elizabeth does...