Thursday, April 15, 2010

HippieVille

If you didn't think I was teetering into HippieVille before, you're going to think I've decided to homestead there now.

A month ago I started researching amber teething necklaces for Miss E.  I envisioned something that I would wear and she'd chew.  Something along the lines of a teething ring on a cord.  I also envisioned rocking the look in my dark wash jeans (which are actually pretty faded) and a tunic top (that doesn't actually fit at the moment). 

My visions aren't always accurate.

You can imagine my surprise when I discovered that amber teething necklaces are for babies to wear, not chew.  Historically, amber has been used to ease pain by leeching trace amounts of succinic acid into the body.

Intrigued, I was pointed to a wonderful online shop with an amazing selection.  "Inspired by Finn" not only has gorgeous amber necklaces, bracelets and earrings, but also carries hazelwood necklaces.

Hazelwood is apparently used to balance the acidity in one's body.  This balance helps prevent heartburn, nausea and eczema.

Since it looked like I was moving to HippieVille anyway, I went ahead and bought amber necklaces for Elizabeth and I and hazelwood necklaces for Chad and Joseph.

While I can't attest to the pain relieving properties of the amber necklaces (eight-month-olds are notoriously reluctant to share such information), I can say that I've had fewer headaches since wearing mine.

The hazelwood, on the other hand, has been very successful.  Chad wore his 24/7 for two weeks. He didn't really believe me when I told him about the "healing properties" but was willing to humor my madness.  (Is that love or what?)  Then, last week rubbing his arm as I watched TV, I noticed something.  His normally bumpy skin is now baby smooth.  He's always had a bit of eczema.  Now his skin is clear.  He also hasn't had heartburn - even with his jalapeno popper addiction - since he started wearing the necklace. 

Joseph's horrible outbreak of eczema is finally starting to clear.  More slowly than Chad's skin.  That could perhaps have something to do with the fewer number of beads?  Regardless, I'm pretty happy with our foray into HippieVille.

And we look pretty stylish too.

I bet you'd like to look as cool as we do...

2 comments:

Alex@LateEnough said...

I LOVE the idea of teethers as jewelry!!
(I'm thinking that I live in the suburbs of HippieVille - totally into not showering and running around barefoot but not sure if I'm ready for the healing necklaces... YET. But I think that it's SUPER cool that they've worked for y'all!!!)

Anonymous said...

Living on the coast of California automatically puts me halfway to residency. :)