When I was a kid, I craved adventure. I wanted, just once, for something amazing and crazy to happen to me. I wanted to be placed on a quest, to have to survive against all odds, to be an unlikely hero.
But the thing about adventure is that it's always much more fun while reading about it from the safety of your cozy couch in your cozy world while eating a bowl of popcorn or drinking a glass of wine.
Adventures, true adventures, are harrowing and scary and stressful. Those unlikely heroes are never certain what the next day will bring and are always craving their old lives of the mundane. I never really understood it.
Until now.
While I'm not on a quest to destroy a ring or win a final battle against the Dark Lord, I am, it seems, on an adventure. And soon I will be beginning another phase of my journey.
I got a new job. A full-time job. A job that will give me financial security and independence. A job that sounds intriguing. A job that's Monday through Friday from 7:30 to 4:30. A job that's twelve months a year.
And this new job means that I'll have to say goodbye to my old job. A job that was amazing when I was pregnant and had a baby. A job that allowed me the freedom of summers off to be home with the kids. A job filled with wonderful, caring people.
My Spock side understands the logic behind this new position. It's going to give me freedom and will ultimately help alleviate the stress in my life. There is opportunity for growth and a creative outlet.
My Kirk side is sad to be leaving a job I love.
I'll be starting in a little over a week - though my training will begin a bit earlier.
Wish me luck.
Not that I'll do well...
That I'll be able to wake up in time.
4 comments:
Captain Adventure AWAY!
Congrats! And good luck!
Thanks!
I may need a cape.
Post a Comment