Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Roasted Crockpot Chicken with Tarragon Vegetables and Wheatberries Recipe

Wow!  Long title, but I think I got all the elements in there...

Remember that 30 lb. container of wheatberries?  Well, we're slowly working our way through them.  (Glacially, more like.) Last night I decided to give them a chance to co-star with roast chicken.  A star was born.  They overcame the chicken and ended up taking center stage.  Introducing...

Roasted Crockpot Chicken with Tarragon Vegetables and Wheatberries

First there's the chicken...
1 chicken
1 c. water
1/2 onion, coarsely chopped
3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
4 carrots, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Wash the chicken, removing the giblets. (Or have your husband do it.)  Place in your crockpot with the other ingredients.  Cook on high for four hours or low for eight hours.

Then the wheatberries...
2 c. rinsed wheatberries
3 c. water
salt to taste
Boil the water in a medium saucepan.  (Known in our home as the mac and cheese pot.)  Add wheatberries, stir and simmer until tender.  Drain off excess water.  Sprinkle on salt to taste.

And finally, the amazingly delicious veggies...
1 potato, peeled and chopped (I used purple for fun.)
1 sweet medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped
3 large tomatoes, chopped
3 c. chicken stock - from your crockpot chicken, preferably
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 T. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. Tarragon
pepper and garlic salt to taste

Saute the onion and celery in the olive oil until onions are clear.  Add tarragon, pepper and garlic salt. Toss. Add remaining vegetables and chicken stock one cup at a time, allowing it to reduce between cups.  What you're going for here, is a thicker "sauce" rather than broth.

Simmer.

Serve over the wheatberries, with chicken on the side or in a bowl with everything stacked.

Don't let the sheer number of ingredients intimidate you.  This is easier than it may seem.  I made it, after all.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hello, I found your blog via "Silver Linings 4 Me", and I'm so glad that I did!:) I have never tasted or cooked with wheatberries. What do wheatberries taste like? I giggled when you suggested having your husband clean the raw chicken! I dislike cleaning those whole chickens so much and have been known to ask my husband to clean them for me! :) I look forward to reading your future posts. If you have time, please feel free to stop by and visit my blog!

Anonymous said...

Welcome, Heather!

Wheatberries are somewhat chewy and ever so slightly sweet. My family is really enjoying them, although I'm sure they'll like them even better once I grind them into flour and bake cookies!

Mads Mom said...

Again, where do I place an order?