Monday, July 12, 2010

Super Sticky Glue

"What are you doing, Mommy?"

"I'm making a necklace."

"Can I make a necklace too?"

"Sure."  I handed Joseph cord and a couple beads.

"I want to use the glue!"

"You can't, baby.  It's super sticky glue," I replied as I pressed a bail onto a pebble.  "If you're not careful, you might glue your finger together and it would really hurt."  Content with my answer, Joseph wandered off to play with something far more interesting - his adventure kit.

Smiling fondly at my first born, I set the pendant I'd just created down on the counter.  Or, at least, that's what I tried to do.  Frowning at my hand, I realized that I'd glued the pendant to my fingers.  I little tug released the jewelry, but my thumb and forefinger were stuck together like the cast of Twilight.  Pulling harder just hurt.

"Geez," I muttered. "Chad!  Could you help me for a second?"

"What's wrong?"

"I glued my fingers together and need help opening the fingernail polish remover."  Chad and I convened in the bathroom where he offered friendly advice while I scrubbed at my fingers.

"Mommy!  Guess what?"

"Hold on a sec, baby.  Mommy's working on something."

"But look what I did!  I fixed my compass.  It broke and I fixed it all by myself."

I whipped my head around to where Joseph was proudly displaying a repaired compass, not a drop of glue or strip of tape in sight.  "What did you fix it with?"

"The super sticky glue."

"The super sticky glue?"

"On the counter."

"You climbed up to the counter, got the glue and fixed your compass?"

"Yes."  He looked at me solemnly.  "I was very careful.  You have to be careful or you could glue your fingers together."  He ran out of the bathroom to play in his bedroom.

"Not a word, Chad."

2 comments:

Kraneia said...

*snicker*

That'll be something to tell him when he's older and you can all laugh about it.

but not right now.

X-D

Scratch

Anonymous said...

Oh, we're all laughing about it now. And by "we" I mean my husband. :D