Monday, May 10, 2010

Seven Years - Part 2

Chad called me that night.  We talked for hours about anything and everything.

"I'd really like to take you out on a date. Are you available this Friday?"

"No.  My friends are getting married on Sunday and their rehersal dinner is on Friday."

"Oh.  How about Saturday?"

"Saturday we're doing a girls' pamper party then going out to dinner."

"Okay.  How about next week?"

"I'm really not trying to avoid a date with you, but I'll be busy Monday driving my friends to LAX and then Tuesday I have a meeting, Wednesday I'm babysitting for a friend, Thursday I'm going out with my roommate for his birthday, Friday I'm picking up my friends at LAX, Saturday I'm going to a birthday party in Santa Barbara.  But I'm free Sunday?"

"That's too long."

"Well," I said, not expecting him to agree, "just throwing this out there, but you could always be my plus one at the wedding on Sunday."

"Okay."

"Really?  That's not too weird?"

"Nah.  I just went to my sister's wedding.  There's dinner, dancing and cake.  Why not?"

"Okay.  I'll email you the info."  I got off the phone and called the bride.

"Would it totally screw things up for me to invite a date to the wedding?"

"Who?!?!"
"Chad."

"Yes. Yes. Yes.  Bring. Him."

The wedding day arrived and I spied Chad arriving in a suit.  My girlfriends gathered around the tiny second story window of the bridal area.

"Oh he's cute!"

"He's on time!  Not going to fit in with this group."

"Nice ass."

"Get down there and say hi."

"Go!!"

I walked down the stairs in my full-length gown feeling like a girl at prom.  I strolled up to him and said, "Hi."  Reaching up, I gave him a hug and felt him squeeze me back.  Home.

We chatted for a few minutes, but my bridesmaid duties were calling.  I snagged my sister and roommate, introduced them to Chad and then, walked away, leaving him to the wolves.

After the wedding, we walked over to a little swing and sat down.  He looked at me.  I looked at him.  Was he going to kiss me?  With the sun set and the stars twinkling, it was a perfect moment.

Later Chad said that he knew it was the perfect moment but he got too nervous.  Instead, we held hands and talked.  He joined me at the after party where everyone rehashed the wedding, drank and danced and there, in the middle of the living room, he kissed me.

A year later, we danced at another wedding.  We held hands and talked and, in the middle of all our family and friends, kissed.

Seven years and two children later, his hugs still feel like coming home and his smile still makes me melt.

Happy anniversary, my love.

2 comments:

Tara Martin said...

You made my heart flutter, so sweet!!

Katrina said...

*Ahem* you forgot to mention your "awesome best friend" that performed your ceremony :)