Thursday, September 24, 2009

Basil Pesto Recipe

Steve turned out to be a very nice man with a mini-farm/super sized garden that made me drool. He had a green house, for Pete's sake!

He snipped enough basil to fill an Old Navy shopping bag and then sent me on my way. I left reluctantly, trying to pick the brain of someone who is obviously a gardening genius. With my haul of basil, I set some aside for Becky and made the rest into three ice cube trays of pesto.

I've had several requests for my pesto recipe. I wish I could help, but it's vague even by my standards. So...

Here is one that looks simply amazing courtesy allrecipes.com. It's very similar to mine since I use walnuts instead of pine nuts (the "normal" pesto ingredient). I also add spinach since I'm always trying to sneak in veggies.

Classic Pesto

3 cups fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, blend together basil leaves, nuts, garlic, and cheese. Pour in oil slowly while still mixing. Stir in salt and pepper.

No comments: